Do you need faster or more reliable internet for your home or businesses?
The York County Commissioners, York County Economic Alliance, and YoCo Fiber Broadband Task Force are working towards the goal of countywide broadband access to bring faster, more reliable, and more affordable internet to your home or business. We believe that broadband is crucial infrastructure for education, telehealth, business, and our residents’ general quality of life. By investing in broadband and supporting public private partnerships to connect internet to homes and businesses, we can ensure York County is an attractive place to live and a competitive place to do business.
In 2020, we completed an assessment report and business plan (available for download below) for a countywide Middle Mile fiber network that will expand broadband access into underserved parts of the county and attract private providers to invest in making connections to homes and businesses. We are currently raising the funds to begin construction of the first several phases of the network. We also invested $1.5 million in CARES Act funding to create a 16-mile fiber pilot project, underneath the York Heritage Rail Trail. You can learn more about the pilot project by watching the video on the right.
Countywide broadband access is a complex and expensive undertaking, and we appreciate your support and enthusiasm as we work towards advancing the YoCo Fiber initiative!
If you have questions or concerns, please contact YoCoFiber@yceapa.org.
YoCo Fiber Broadband Task Force
On February 3, 2021, the York County Commissioners unanimously voted to establish the YoCo Fiber Broadband Task Force to advise the county on developing and implementing a countywide broadband strategy. Click here for an overview of the task force’s role.
Task Force Members
Facilitator: Dr. Silas Chamberlin, York County Economic Alliance
- Dr. Nathan Van Deusen, Superintendent, South Eastern School District
- Shayne Smith, Regional External Affairs, Met Ed / First Energy
- Chaz Green, Director, Public Works, City of York
- Mick Murphy, VP and Chief Technology Officer, WellSpan
- Phil Witkowski, Director of Telehealth, UPMC – Pinnacle Hospitals
- Kevin Schreiber, President & CEO, York County Economic Alliance
- Gary Laird, President & CEO, Hanover Chamber of Commerce
- Jeff Vermeulen, AVP, York College / JD Brown Center for Entrepreneurship
- Felicia Dell, Executive Director, York County Planning Commission
- John Klinedinst, County Engineer, CS Davidson
- Isaac Tucker, Director, Katapult Engineering / Dillsburg Borough Council
- Mark Derr, County Administrator, County of York
- Joe Sassano, Executive Director, IT / CIO, County of York
York County commissioned Lit Communities and Katapult Engineering to develop a strategy for countywide broadband. The final report documents existing conditions, best practices, scenarios for building out Middle Mile and Last Mile broadband networks, and financial models for design, construction, operations, and ownership. The final report was released in February 2021.